February 25, 2014

Click here to see all posts about "The slight edge" by Jeff Olson


Don't ask what the meaning of life is. You define it

What's your philosophy in life?

Let’s talk about another great principle in The Slight Edge. They say “actions cure fears”. Yet before we initiate actions, we need to have a good philosophy about life. “Live fast die young” is not really a good philosophy…lol! My philosophy in life is that I want to accomplish great things before I die, so that when death comes for me, I will have no regrets. I want to make a difference in the society. I want to help as many people as possible to have a better life. I also want to have a great relationship with my friends and family. Of course, I still need to work on my philosophy. 

You are stronger than you seem, smarter than you think

As you have a good philosophy, you will develop good attitude and you will become more positive. You don’t see challenges as burdens, but opportunities. Then, you can initiate good actions to cure your fears and achieve great results. There is a saying: “action without knowledge is dangerous”. So, it’s every important that we work on our philosophy and our attitude first. Since I applied this principle into my life, I have achieved much better results than I could imagine. I have got better jobs. I have made more friends. I have defeated some of my fears such as public speaking, meeting new people, and also making phone calls (I used to be afraid of making phone calls to English speakers because my accent was so thick that I was so embarrassed about it…haha!) See this video for funny Vietnamese accent: 


The secret of compound effect

Another very important principle is the compound effect. Small, little things that you do every day, compound over time, will become big results, either negatively or positively. Have you ever wondered why some people are so successful? I have wondered about that too. I thought that these people must be genius and they were born to be successful. But no! It’s the little things that they do every day that help them achieve great results. For example, successful people such as Brian Tracy, Jeff Olson, Les Brown, Zig Ziglar all stated that they have read lots of good books and they set a minimum number of pages to read every day. Let’s say if you read 5 pages per day, that’s 1825 pages a year, which is probably equal to 8 good books! Imagine how much you can grow if you can finish 8 books a year!!

Some people might say: “Well, I know it’s good to read books. But I don’t have time, I’m busy with school and work”. This is just an excuse that unsuccessful people make. Come on! How long does it take to read 5 pages? Probably about 10 to 15 minutes. They have 15 minutes to lie on the bed and do nothing, they have 15 minutes to listen to music, they have 15 minutes to talk non-sense with their friends, and they have 15 minutes to play games, BUT THEY DON’T HAVE 15 MINUTES TO READ BOOKS AND INVEST IN THEMSELF? There is a saying: “Successful people are willing to do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do”. Is it easy to read 5 pages a day? Of course! Is it easy to not read at all? Absolutely! Some people might still say: “I don’t like reading books”. Well, fine. I hope they have a good life. So my friend, if you have visited this blog, probably you like reading books as well. You might want to start having a plan to read books every day. You just need to be consistent and the results will eventually come.  If you are already doing it, that’s awesome! Keep it up!

Thank you for reading! Remember to comment, like, subscribe and share with your friends!



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: