March 07, 2014



A person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language

Why it is important to remember people's names

Don’t you think that it’s important to remember a person’s name? Especially if you are going to meet that person every once a while, either by chance or with purpose. I never seriously tried to remember anyone’s name before I read this book, partly because I was shy and quite. I rarely went out to meet new people, and when I did, I would most likely forget the person’s name. I used to wash dishes in a Vietnamese restaurant for a year, and I never remembered some of my co-workers’ names, even though we were working together every week. My friend, how do you feel if people don’t remember your name, especially when they meet you quite often? You might feel a bit offended right? You might feel that they don’t really care about you, or that they don’t value you as an important person to them. Particularly, when you meet someone once a while and you remember their name, but they don’t remember your name, you might feel kind of worthless. This has a negative impact on your self-image and confidence. That’s how I felt for a long time. If you are looking for job opportunities, it's even more important that you remember people's names, since those people might be able to refer you to the person who makes the decision to hire. Also, when you meet the recruiter, you make a good impression on them by remembering their name. It's pretty awkward to not remember people's names right? See the video below, haha!


Here is a method that is helping me to remember people's names

After I read this book, I made a decision to really put effort into remembering people’s names. Whenever I meet a new person, I will ask for their name and repeat it several times during our conversation. That way, their name can become part of my memory. If they are someone who I really want to keep in touch and follow up with, I will also write down their name in a small pad, as well as what I can remember about them during our conversation. This allows me to remember not only their name, but also their hobby, work, and education…etc. Next time I meet them, I can repeat what we talk about last time and extend our conversation from there. More important, by remembering their name and their basic information, I make a good impression on them and show them that I really value the relationship. In addition, if you put effort into remembering someone’s name, they are more likely to put effort into remembering your name as well. You also help enhance their self-image and confidence by remembering their name, since it makes them feel important. I have probably doubled my number of friends using these methods. We all want to feel important! See the video below for more tips:


Forgive yourself and others 

The last thing I want to talk about is to forgive others if they don’t remember your name, and forgive yourself if you forget someone’s name. We are all human after all. It’s just impossible for us to remember everyone’s name. If you meet someone and they forgot your name, they might just be a type of person who talks to many people on a daily basis, and it’s very hard for them to remember you if you didn’t build a strong connection with them during the conversation. Or they might be a type of person who is not really good at dealing with people, and they might be shy and quite. That’s okay, those people need your help. You should still try to remember their name to help them feel better about themselves. They might be very interesting people to talk to if you get to know more about them. If they meet you more often, they might ask you: “How do you know so many people?”. You can tell them: “Just by remembering their name!”. If you forget someone’s name, that’s okay. But try to ask for their name again, you can say something like: “I’m sorry. You are a nice person to talk to, but I forgot your name. What’s your name again?”. After they leave, you can repeat their name several times quietly so that you can remember.

Thank you for reading! Remember to comment, like, subscribe and share with your friends!


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: