February 23, 2014

Click here to see all posts about "The slight edge" by Jeff Olson


If you think reading is boring, you are doing it wrong

What was the first book you read?


The very FIRST motivational book that I read, touched, and smelled was “The Slight Edge”. It was about 2 years ago and I would consider this as a turning point in my life. I used to not like reading books at all, because I thought they were long, boring and useless. The only books I read were textbooks which were required to read by my teachers. I still remember that day when I met a friend of mine at the library, Jersey Li. He wasn’t my close friend at that time. I was sitting in the library studying for my philosophy class, then we saw each other and started talking about school and life. Eventually, we had this conversation: 

Jersey: "Hey Johnny, do you read books?”
Me: "Yes, I do. But only textbooks…lol!”
Jersey:  "Ok, that’s fine. Do you read any other types of books?”
Me:  "No, not really. I don’t really like reading books.”
Jersey:  "Okay, I see. Why don’t you try reading this book, The Slight Edge? It will teach you several principles to be successful in life. I know that you are a motivated person. You want to achieve great things. That’s why you studied so hard to get the scholarship. I believe that this book will benefit you a lot! I can give it to you and you can give it back to me anytime.”
Me: "Alright, thanks Jersey. I will take a look at it.” 

Have you ever got addicted to a book?

That evening, I went home and opened the book, and I just kept reading and reading. It was like somebody taped my hands to the book that I couldn’t put it down.  I couldn’t resist the temptation to keep on reading until I finish it. This is the first time ever in my life I became so ADDICTED to a book. I’m pretty sure some of you have had similar experience before, right? If you haven’t, one day it will come. There is a saying: “If you don’t like reading books, it’s just because you haven’t found the book you like!” The Slight Edge completely changed the way I think, feel, and act. It really brought me to a whole new level of intelligence. I’m very thankful for Jersey for having given me The Slight Edge. If we didn’t have that conversation that night, if he didn’t give me the book, I would continue to be a shy, depressed guy with no clear vision of my life. 

Thank you for reading! Remember to comment, like, subscribe and share with your friends!



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: