February 19, 2014

Click here to see all posts about "As a man thinketh" by James Allen


The wisest mind has something yet to learn


Never stop learning

Continued from the previous post, at that moment, I realized something. I realized that just because I was “the top sale person” in the other company, doesn’t mean that I have mastered the art of selling! There are still so many more things I need to learn in order to really become a pro in the sale profession. Brian Tracy said: “You have to commit at least 5 years in any professions before you can be excellent at it”.  Now, every time I think that I am already good at something, or somebody compliments me on a skill I have, I always remind myself:  “Johnny, be humble, so many people out there are better than you, therefore you have to keep learning and improving yourself”. Like Bruce Lee said: “Once you think you have reached your limit, you will go nowhere but down”. 

You will know who you really are when you get challenged by life

Let’s go back to selling books. Before I came to Toronto, I thought that I would be able to stay disciplined despite of any challenges that I might face when going door to door. But you know what? I failed to follow through the commitments. There were several days that I didn’t go to work. I would find a bench in any parks or any flat grass areas to lie down and sleep so that I could make the day go by faster. Sometimes, I would go into some coffee shops and sat there for several hours. Some other times, I would just walk back and forward on the same street, reluctant to knock on doors, thinking: “What the…am I doing here?”  I thought that through my sale experience selling credit cards, I already developed enough courage to face all the rejections, but no! (Some people were really rude when I met them. I remember a man said to me: “I don’t buy from door to door sale people. Now get the fuck out of my porch!”). Also, I always considered myself as an honest person. However, when I had to report about my day to my student managers, I sometimes lied to them because I was so embarrassed to tell them the truth. This is the second “revelation” of myself. How about you my friend? Did you have any similar experiences? If not yet, one day, you will be able to know who you really are when you get challenged by life!

Anything negative, there is something positive

Reflecting back to that time, I couldn’t “directly choose my circumstances”, since I had no control over the weather or the house owners. Yet, I “totally had control over my thoughts and actions”. Now I realize, if I went to work every day, if I knocked on every door I was supposed to knock, if I was being more coachable and had a better attitude, I would have performed much better. So the lesson here is, no matter what kind of circumstances you are in right now, always look for something positive in those circumstances and never ever let your negative thoughts direct your actions. For example, if you lose your bike, you can say: "I lost my bike, which means I will get a new and better bike". Or if you lose your job, you can say: "I lost my job, which means I will find a better job and get better pay". If you break up with your girl friend/boy friend, you can say: "I just broke up with my girl friend/boy friend, which means I will find someone who truly loves me". Try this kind of thinking every time you have issues, and see how that helps you stay motivated. See the video for more insights:


Thank you for reading! Remember to comment, like, subscribe and share with your friends!



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments: